Saturday, February 21, 2009

Module 4 - Searching the Web

The search engine that I have used predominantly is Google and have always found it to be fast and useful. On occasions I have found that unless I am quite specific in my search, I am presented with a large number of sites which were not really related to the topic I was searching for.

After undertaking the tutorials I was actually unaware of the different tools that are available to assist in searching for information and how the various tools are able to search more specifically for particular content. This has certainly assisted me in understanding search engines a bit more but I have a great deal further to go.

In this task I searched for “Academy Awards History” on Google. The search took 0.16 seconds and displayed 21,800,000 websites. The first site took me to “Academy Awards – The Oscars”.

I then searched on Copernicus, again used “Academy Awards History” and whilst the search did not reveal the number of seconds it took to display the websites, it was very fast. However, the site took me to only 74 websites. The first site again looked at the “2009 Oscars”. The following sites were the same as the Google search.

A further search on Yahoo Advanced Search, again looking at “Academy Awards History” took 0.7 seconds to find 64,800,000 websites, a further three times more websites than Google. Again the first site took me to the same website as the Google search.

Interestingly in all three searches the fact that the history was not listed as the first area for the search gave results in the current Oscars for this year before listing details about the history of the Academy Awards. Therefore searching quite word specific information is important as is being able to search and find the information you are seeking.

No comments:

Post a Comment