Saturday, February 21, 2009

Module 4 - Tools for Using the Web

In your learning log record which programs you downloaded and note which (if any) facets you think might prove useful.


As I do not use the majority of the programs listed in this task, I chose the Search Manager/Combiners “Copernic Meta for PC” and the Bookmark Manager, “Bookmark Buddy for Windows” to explore a greater understanding in both areas.

The download Copernic Meta for PC was quite easy to install (30 day free trial). I downloaded Copernic Desktop Search and it was installed in a very short period of time. I also downloaded Copernic mobile which allows you to search and acces your computer’s content from any location, using a mobile device. Following the download, a message box appeared asking whether I wanted Copernic as my default websearch engine.

Copernic Desktop Search I found to be very similar to Google Search however when conducting a search for a topic, I found that it provided less websites than other search engines and would not be my choice of search engine.

The download for “Bookmark Buddy for Windows” was also easy to install and did not take very long to do so. However, I was unsure as to its use and effectiveness even though its aim was to manage, sort and categorise favourites/bookmarks. Further investigation will need to occur to gather the benefits of this program.

No comments:

Post a Comment